A couple of years ago, Ricoh GXR cameras showed us the idea having not just a removable lens, but a removable lens+sensor combination.
Their idea was they want to optimize their sensor to the specific lens attached, rather than assume all lenses will work the same on all sensors.
Fast forward to today’s needs, practically everyone has moved towards using smartphones as their primary, non-work camera and point-and-shoot camera ownership has never been so unattractive.
The problem with smartphones has always been the sensor and the optics. Due to the thin profile of phones these days, it’s virtually impossible to stick a large lens and sensor and still sell it as a smartphone primarily.
A few weeks ago, I mentioned the Ladibird sensor+prime lens product that I’m supporting. That product is strictly an iPhone-dependent unit right now, while this Sony QX10 and QX100 lens attachment is pretty much universal.
It attaches to the camera using opposing clamps, much like what you see with car GPS attachments and 90s style phone holders.
Specifications for the QX10
- 18MP 1/2.3″ Exmor R® CMOS sensor
- Imaging Sensor : 1/2.3″ (7.76mm) Exmor R® CMOS sensor
- Processor : BIONZ® image processor
- Pixel Gross : 18.9M pixels (approx.)
- Color Filter System : RGB primary color mosaic filters
- Aperture (Max.) : F3.3 (W), F5.9 (T)
- Optical Zoom : 10x (Optical Zoom during movie recording)
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) : [Still Image 16:9] f = 27.5-275mm [Still Image 4:3] f= 25-250mm [Movie 16:9] f = 27.5-275mm (SteadyShot Standard), f = 27.5-385mm (SteadyShot® Active Mode) [Movie 4:3] f = 33.5-335mm (SteadyShot® Standard), f = 33.5-469mm (SteadyShot Active Mode)
- Lens Construction : 9 elements in 7 groups (including 4 aspheric elements)
- NFC/Wi-Fi® allows simple connection with smartphone
- 1080/30p HD video recording
- compatible with Apple® iOS and Android™ devices
- Image Stabilization : [Still Image] Optical SteadyShot(TM) image stabilization [Movie] Optical SteadyShot(TM) image stabilization with Active Mode
- Priority Setting (for Face Detection) : Yes (eight faces max)
- Media Type : Memory Stick Micro / microSD Memory Card / microSDHC Memory Card