Nikon S800C – It’s Android Powered!
Another month, another new point-and-shoot digital camera released. This time, it’s something quite unique as this Nikon S800C is powered by Android!
Camera phones have rapidly taken over the pocketable camera industry, slowly putting virtually all compact cameras’ features into the mobile phone. The Nikon S800C flipped the switch and went backwards, by integrating Google’s Android mobile operating system into a digital camera.
What Do You Get with Android? WiFi for Starters!
Of course, the question now is, so what? Nobody cares what operating system a consumer item runs on unless you’re a real gear geek, so what’s the big deal?
The most important feature that the S800C provides is the ability to connect via WiFi and launch web-sharing apps right inside the camera. That means you can instantly share your digital camera photos on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Flickr and whatever online social site you’re on without the need to transfer the photos onto your PC.
As more and more people upload images and share them via social media, it’s clear that the camera manufacturers need to address the easy sharing feature of a phone camera to a proper digital camera. The S800C does just that.
If you don’t have WiFi access, the S800C can also connect to your smartphone’s 3G/HDSPA/4G connection as well.
In addition to that, you can also edit and adjust your photos within the Nikon S800C prior to uploading.
A Real Camera
Let’s face it, as great as camera phones are, they’re not really that fun to use ergonomically. The sensor, optics, and auto-focus still need work, and it’s still a far cry from a proper camera unless you’re only sharing mostly web-sized images.
In the hands of casual photographers and shutterbugs, the limitations on camera phone technology shows even more compared to a more advanced user, so integrating the features and usability of a digital camera with the immediacy of online sharing, the Nikon S800C may be the right product for many.
It’s Small, Really Small
Pocketable digital cameras have shrunk in size for quite some time now, with more and more features crammed in, it seems that we can’t go smaller without losing features. The Nikon S800C is immensely tiny and it’s really pocketable unlike many of its peers. In fact, it’s smaller than most smartphones in the market right now.
Along with the size, here are the other specifications of the Nikon S800C
- Dimensions - 4.4 x 2.4 x 1.1 in. (111 x 60 x 27 mm)
- Weight - 6.5 oz (184 g)
- Planned Price - $350
- Planned Availability - September 2012
- Sensor Type – CMOS 1/2.3″ (approx. 0.43 in. diagonal)
- Resolution – 16.79 megapixels (total) |16.00 megapixels (effective)
- Filter Type – RGBG
- Aspect Ratio – 16:9, 4:3
- Image Dimensions - 4608 x 3456 (15.9 megapixels) | 3264 x 2448 (8.0 megapixels) | 2272 x 1704 (3.9 megapixels) | 1600 x 1200 (1.9 megapixels) | 640 x 480 (0.3 megapixels) | 4608 x 2592 (11.9 megapixels) | 1920 x 1080 (2.1 megapixels)
- Capture Speed Continuous: 8.0 frames per second for 3 frames
- Viewfinder – No
- LCD – 3.5 in. diagonal 820,000 dots OLED Touchscreen
- Image Stabilization – Yes
- Focal Length – 4.5 – 45.0mm (actual) | 25 – 250mm (35mm equivalent)
- Aperture Range – f/3.2 (wide) / f/5.8 (tele)
- Focusing System – Contrast Detection
- AF assist lamp
- Focusing Range Normal: 20″ – infinity (50 cm – infinity)
- Macro: 4.1″ – 4,082″ (10 cm – 10,000 cm)
- ISO Sensitivity – Auto, Fixed Range Auto, 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Exposure Modes – Program
- Exposure Compensation +/- 2.0EV in 0.3EV increments
- White Balance Image Sensor – Auto, Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, Flash, Preset Manual (Custom)
- Internal Flash Modes: Auto, Auto & Red-eye reduction, Flash off, Fill flash, Slow sync
- Flash Exposure Compensation +/- EV
- Digital Zoom – Up to 4x
- Self Timer Yes, 2 or 10 seconds
- Movie Format .MOV (H.264 with stereo sound) with audio
- Movie Resolution / Frame Rate 1920×1080
- Recording Medium – SD/MMC including SDHC, Built-in
- File System – Complies with Design Rule for Camera File System (DCF)
- File Format – JPEG
- Battery Type Lithium-ion rechargeable
- Battery Form Factor Proprietary EN-EL12
- Software Nikon ViewNX 2 CD-ROM
- Battery / Charger 1 x Proprietary EN-EL12 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery and charger
- Flash Memory 2380.0MB Internal
- Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) compliant Yes
- PictBridge Compliant Yes
- Internal Microphone Yes
- Internal Speaker Yes
- Tripod Mount Yes
- Waterproof No
Runs Android 2.3 OS, built-in Wi-Fi, Full HD video, 3.5″ OLED touchscreen (with Touch Shutter, Subject Tracking, and Touch AF/AE), built-in GPS, 4GB internal memory: 1.7GB available for images (plus SD/SDHC slot), 680MB for applications. Available in black or white.
Official Press Release of the Nikon S800C
GREAT IMAGES ARE NOW TRENDING: WITH WI-FI® CONNECTIVITY AND A POWERFUL ANDROID™ PLATFORM, THE NEW NIKON COOLPIX S800c IS THE EASY WAY TO INSTANTLY CAPTURE, CREATE AND SHARE
The New COOLPIX S800c Enhances the User’s Connected Life, Letting Them Instantly Share Great Images From a Device That Includes Features Only a Camera Can Provide with the Ease and Versatility of a Smartphone or Tablet
MELVILLE, N.Y. (August 22, 2012) – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the innovative COOLPIX S800c, Nikon’s first Wi-Fi compact digital camera to incorporate Nikon’s powerful camera imaging technologies and the boundless capabilities of an Android Operating System (OS).
Designed for the always connected individual, the S800c delivers the high picture quality and superior performance expected from a Nikon camera coupled with communication functions and app-based versatility of a smartphone or tablet.
The new S800c answers the call for users who need the ability to capture photos and HD video with amazing clarity and color, yet offers a familiar portal to connect to social networks and popular imaging applications through an Android Operating System. With the introduction of the S800c, beautiful images can now be confidently and quickly shared with friends and family.
“With the new COOLPIX S800c, Nikon designed a camera for users looking to capture stunning images and videos with a compact digital camera but also want to share their content with their friends and family in a familiar way,” said Bo Kajiwara, Vice President of Marketing, Planning and Customer Experience, Nikon Inc.
“Now users can connect easily and instantly with their social networks through the wireless connection, and take advantage of the vast possibilities of the Android Operating System. The new S800c is truly the easiest way to share amazing images on the spot.”
Powerful Images Are What Connects Us
What sets the S800c apart from connected devices is the focus on the quality of images that people can share. Features such as the spectacular 10x NIKKOR zoom lens and the 16-megapixel CMOS sensor affords the ability to create photos and HD video with unrivaled sharpness and clarity, whether up-close or at a distance, even in challenging lighting conditions. The S800c helps users to create images they will be proud to share, while offering connectivity and additional benefits to users, including:
• Optical 10x Zoom NIKKOR Lens: covering from wide-angle 25-250mm, so either the largest group or action from afar is captured with clarity that can only be accomplished with a quality lens. Additionally, the lens is bolstered with Nikon’s VR optical image stabilization for blur-free photos and stable HD video, even while handheld.
• 16 Megapixel Backside Illuminated (BSI) CMOS Sensor: Much larger than the CCD sensor traditionally found in smartphones or tablets, this BSI CMOS sensor excels in challenging lighting conditions, and provides images with vivid colors, low noise and exceptional contrast and sharpness.
• Powered by Android: The camera’s connection features allow users to seamlessly connect, browse and upload to their social networks, including Google+™, Facebook and Twitter. Users can also take advantage of the full functionality of Android technology to surf the web or even download applications and games onto their S800c. Just like a smartphone or tablet device, the camera has the opportunity to run camera-specific photo and video applications, yet enables the various benefits of shooting with a real camera.
• Google Play™: The S800c provides access to a vast world of applications for games, productivity and personal communication/ email, including Nikon’s photo storage and sharing site, my Picturetown®. Users are also able to watch video downloaded from Google Play right on their camera.
• The Benefits of COOLPIX Camera Technology: With the EXPEED C2 processing engine, users will enjoy rapid response and speedy performance from their device. Additional benefits include the ability to use a camera flash to illuminate subjects, while continuous drive mode captures up to approximately 8 frames-per-second (up to three shots) to help ensure no moment will be missed. What’s more, a variety of scene modes and creative filters keep it fresh and let the user easily create stunning images.
• Full HD Video: The S800c makes it easy to capture Full HD 1080p HD video with amazing fidelity and sharpness, with full stereo sound. Video clips can be instantly uploaded to popular video sites such as YouTube™ and Vimeo®.
• Built in GPS: Ever wanted to track a weekend excursion or geo-tag a hard to find shooting spot? The GPS function enables recording of shooting location information on stills and movies.
Easy Settings, Easy Connection, Instant Gratification
Smartphone and tablet users will feel at home with the S800c’s familiar controls and operation, and will be able to easily navigate using the wide and bright 3.5-inch touchscreen OLED monitor. The camera will connect to the internet via granted access to any Wi-Fi network.
Upon connection, the user will be prompted through an easy-to-understand set-up process, similar to that of other Android devices. The COOLPIX S800c also has the ability to connect through WPS for a fast and secure push-button connection.
Additionally, when a Wi-Fi connection is not open or available, the camera can transmit images and videos wirelessly to a smartphone or tablet, allowing the user to share better images through a mobile network.
COOLPIX core technologies also make it easy for users to create share-worthy images. Various camera modes help the user achieve the greatest shot, whether it’s a macro shot of tonight’s cuisine or a scenic HDR shot of downtown, the image is instantly ready to share. For maximum creativity, the S800c has 18 filter effects, including the new Toy Camera effect, Pop and Super Vivid color filters, as well as Cross Process and Peripheral Darkening filters.
Price and Availability
The S800c will be available in September 2012 in both White and Black for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $349.95*. For more information about this COOLPIX camera, or other Nikon products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.