Posing in an art, and art that has to be mastered by all models and portrait photographers alike. You can have the prettiest model or the best light, but if you can’t pose or direct a pose, your portraits will end up looking forced, unappealing, and no coherence to the scene or mood.
Whether you’re shooting boudoir, wedding, maternity, or glamour, knowing how to pose your subject is essential.
Here’s a list of guides (mix of paid and free) to help both photographers and models in posing.
Ideas for posing are easy to emulate but takes time to master. I suggest you pick a handful, like 5 poses to master first so you can have a ‘go-to’ posing set to fall back on if you can’t get creative at a given moment.
- Photography Posing Secrets
- Model Posing
- 101 Inspiring Poses for Beauty and Glamour Photographers
- Photography Tips
- Essential Guide to Portrait Photography
- Professional Photography 101
- Image Perfect
- Look At You ATL
- Free Digital Photography Tutorials
- Motifs By Design (PDF Download, Right Click >> Save As)
- Swanky.ca (PDF Download, Right Click >> Save As)
- One Slide Photography
- Oliver Cameron (PDF Download, Right Click >> Save As)
- Digital Photography School
- Polis Photography (PDF Download, Right Click >> Save As)
Maternity, Kids, and Newborn Posing Guides
- Maternity Posing Guide by MomPhoto
- Newborn Posing by Milky Way
- Maternity Posing Guide by Milky Way
- Maternity Posing Guide by Jaqueline
- Newborn Posing Guide by Newborn Posing
- Baby Posing by BabySafe Photography
- Posing Guide for Kids PDF
Taking great photos with a model require both parties to be in sync. A good model needs a good photographer to bring out their best, and a photographer needs a good model to ensure his model photos don’t look amateurish and unpolished.
Work with a good model or a model who’s willing to be directed on posing. With experience, you’ll know which poses work well for specific types of body shape, height, and facial features.
Don’t forget to share this on your Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest so your model or photographer friends can benefit!